Friday 1 February 2013

Diary of a Randy Traveler: Makurdi

Since my last article I have been very busy travelling to new destinations locally and internationally for business, pleasure and of course; in search every man’s favorite play thing-new pussy! As I sit here at the waiting lounge of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja awaiting my flight’s boarding call; I still have a slight head ache and sore limbs from last’s night’s party and despite drinking what seems like gallons of water, I can still taste Karen’s juices on my tongue (….or is it Ivy’s?)


About two weeks ago I received a phone call from an old class mate to personally invite me to his wedding ceremony which was taking place in the small city of Makurdi. This was not a new destination to me; I had been to Makurdi before on a business trip and I loved everything about it- the serenity, the cheap food and their voluptuous women…how could I pass up such an opportunity? Makurdi is the capital of the state Benue in Nigeria. The city is located in central Nigeria along the Benue River and shares borders with Nassarawa, Kogi, Cross River and Taraba States. I couldn’t wait to get my taste buds on their local delicacy; pounded yam, bush meat and pocho (a local soup) which I was introduced to on my first trip there. Benue State is famously known as the Food Basket of the Nation and after my weekend of food, fun and fornication, I couldn’t agree more.

I made plans to visit some landmarks and tourist destinations while I was out there; so I traveled a day earlier. As a BSG (bad sharp guy) I started re-establishing contacts with some of  the local girls who I met from the last trip ; after all, what’s a trip without tasting from the soil of the land? One delayed flight, an uncomfortable road trip and a few hours later I arrived in Makurdi. I was received by my tour guide Terfa and ushered straight to my hotel to get some rest. I stayed at the Palm Garden Motel located in High level. It was a very serene and therapeutic environment; a huge contrast from the busy bustling Lagos scene which I was used to. The hotel staff were very friendly and seemed excited to host me. I immediately ordered for their largest serving of Pounded yam and bush meat  while I unpacked and familiarized myself with my new home for the next couple of days. After just a few minutes I heard a knock on my door- it was room service with my order. I had never seen a larger serving of pounded yam before…it looked like a small mountain on my plate and the bush meat literally looked like a wild animal garnished in spices and served on a plate. The aroma was heavenly- I threw my low-carb diet plan out the window and feasted on the meal like a Somalian refugee.

After a few hours of hibernation, we headed off to Dajo pottery for some basic pottery lessons. Terfa; my travel guide had planned a series of activities for me in my short stay and I planned to take full advantage of it. Dajo pottery is a small indigenous pottery/ceramic factory situated along Kilometer 5, Gboko road. It is run by the owner Mr. Levi Orbem, a soft spoken man in his mid-fifties. He showed us around the factory which also doubles as his residential quarters and I was literally blown away from what I saw. The local plant manufactured burnt bricks, table wares, electrical insulators, refractory bricks and assorted tiles. He spoke very passionately about his work while giving us a tour of the factory. Despite winning multiple awards internationally and locally (He is the only black man in history to have won three Ceramic Grand Prix in China-home of Ceramics) the factory is ridden with several problems largely due to lack of support from the Government. The tour ended with an elementary pottery lesson by the clay master himself Mr. Levi.


We spent the rest of the evening driving through the city with Terfa engaging me on some historical facts about his people-the Tiv’s(The majority tribe in Benue State). Later that night I invited Karen (my Makurdi based FB friend) over to my hotel room for a late night cap and shag! The next morning, I got picked up from the hotel by my friend-the groom to be and we headed out to the brides village in Konshisha local Government district, a forty five minute drive for the traditional wedding rites.  As with most traditional wedding ceremonies, the atmosphere was filled with families, friends, and lots of booze. It was my first time witnessing a Tiv traditional ceremony and I loved the culture, tradition and most especially the dance! A group of performers from the Tiv cultural dance troupe entertained the guest with a dance style known as swange ( pronounced SWAN-GAY)which I found fascinating. It was very unique, and rather sexual- I couldn’t help drooling staring at one of the young female dancers as she did her thing- I wonder if she would go back to my hotel with me tonight?

With a lot of convincing I got Ivy- the dancer to follow us back to Makurdi at the end of the ceremony. Intoxicated from the booze and general excitement of the day, we decided to continue the partying at Jacky’s night club with the newlyweds and a few friends. We were joined by a few more well-wishers and it turned out to be one big party. I spent most of the night swapping fluids with Ivy at the club. We were later joined by Karen back at the hotel and we had a little private party of our own……who ever said three was a crowd?




http://bit.ly/XbUm92

No comments:

Post a Comment